Thursday 16 May 2013

Juice detox, day 3

Feeling much, MUCH better today, thank god!

I don't feel quite like I've turned the corner (people always talk about feeling fantastic after a cleanse, and I'm not sure I would say that just yet), but definitely 100x better than last night.

Short post today - my juices today were:
  • 11:00am: The Rehydrator. Contains grapes, strawberry, pear, apple, lime, & flaxseed. 
  • 1:30pm: The Eliminator. Contains green leaves, berries, mango, oranges, & acai. 
  • 4:30pm: The Healer. Contains banana, peach, pineapple, apple, & the "best green superfood in the world". Not loving these 'vague' ingredients but this was by far my favourite juice so far. The thick banana was such a treat!
  • 8:00pm: The Rejuvenator. Contains goji berries, peach, mango, pineapple & lime.

More than anything, though, I really, really miss food. And on that note, how about a few snapshots of my favourite foods?!

Ramen! I could eat ramen everyday. Ramen ramen ramen.

My favourite places in London are:
1) Bone Daddies in Soho
2) Tonkotsu, in Soho
3) Shoryu Ramen, on Regent Street (but surprise! They also have a pop-up in Soho)
4) Ittenbari, ALSO in Soho

I have no idea why they're all in Soho, but who cares!

#NoodleFriday is a tradition in our household (as in, Elliot and I go for noodles every Friday... a bit more difficult now that he's back in Spain but I still manage to get ramen into my system twice a week). Definitely can't wait for juice detox to be over so I can get some RAMEN!

Oh, Bone Daddies also serves this delicious sweet & spicy pork bone dish which is amazing. Definitely not one for a non-meat lover, but the sauce on these is perfectly sticky, perfectly spicy, and there's JUST enough meat on these to be perfectly worth the effort of chewing on some bones. Yum.


I also love a good BURGER. Gaaah what I wouldn't give for a burger right now!

Burgers are pretty trendy right now (still) in London—it seems to have started sometime late last spring or even earlier, I think—but the interesting thing about burgers here is that restaurants ask how you like them done. In Canada, burgers have to be fully cooked through (health officials say the 'safety' of beef all comes down to its surface area, since that's what is exposed to air—and obviously, ground beef has a lot of surface area before it's formed into patties). Here, you can get your burger medium-rare or even rare.

I didn't think I would like a medium-rare burger, but surprise! I do.

This before-and-after series is from Honest Burgers, in Soho (they also have a location in Brixton)

And this next one is from Patty & Bun, near Bond Street / Mayfair!


As you'd expect, everyone has an opinion on who serves the best burgers in London. My friend Lis swears by Patty & Bun's, but she had a lamb burger and I had a regular beef burger, and mine was far too messy. The sauce was running down my arms from the very first bite! It was still pretty good, though.

Honest Burger was, IMHO, the better of the two. Probably the best burger I've had in London, actually. We did wait 2 hours for our table (we went to a pub and had 2 bottles of wine first, so that might have helped, too), but my burger stayed intact throughout, with perfectly uniform amounts of meat, bun, vegetables, and cheese in every bite. Amazing.

I've also had a Lucky Chip Burger (yummy and great to be able to eat it outside, at Netil Market in East London) and a burger at Meat Liquor (overrated and in a room that has over-the-top slaughterhouse décor), as well as many a burger from various pubs (the Prince of Wales in East Putney does a pretty good burger). What can I say... I can't wait until I can eat burgers again, too.

Now that I'm starving and REALLY MISSING FOOD, I shall drink some cucumber-infused water and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment