Tuesday 14 May 2013

Juice detox, day 1

I started a juice detox today. I'm not 100% sure why - I suppose as some kind of willpower test? In any case, I'm always up for trying something new!

My Aussie friend recommended a London company, Nosh Detox, to me. She had completed two of their juice programs and liked the results (she said she noticed a huge change in her energy levels), so when they had a 50% off deal on in April, I decided to give it a go.

It wasn't cheap: even with the discount, it cost £169 for six days of juice (you get four juices a day, so 24 bottles in total... yes, that's a lot of plastic), which is more than I would normally spend on food in this amount of time (I'd say I buy lunch and dinner approximately six or seven times a week in total), but these kinds of things normally are a bit of an investment, aren't they? That's what I told myself, anyway.

Side note: my new favourite packed lunch (though I've actually been doing this since November) is leafless salad, which is exactly as it sounds: everything that you'd put into a typical salad, minus the lettuce. My favourite combination is:
  • avocado
  • tomato
  • cucumber
  • a bit of cheese
  • sweet corn
  • chick peas (only if you feel like it - they're pretty filling)
  • black beans (again, only if you feel like it as they're pretty filling, too)
  • a boiled egg
  • roast chicken breast or tuna 
I finish with either a handful of capers (for their saltiness) or a tablespoon of oil and vinegar dressing. Cut everything up into bite-size chunks - the second best thing about this salad is that you can eat it with a spoon! In fact, I started making this dish because I was sick of wrestling with those big, annoying (and often messy) leaves of lettuce every time I went to take a bite!
Back to Nosh.

Here are the juices I received for Day 1, snapped as I was making my last pasta supper:


The nice thing about this detox is that it's pretty mindless. It's like detoxing for dummies! Unlike some cleanses, you aren't allowed any food, but each bottle is packed with enough nutrients to sustain you and detoxify your system at the same time.

And, as you can see, each bottle says EXACTLY what time you're meant to drink it. It's simple, but it's genius!

Oh - the company also delivers the 6-day supply in two batches, so everything is pretty mindless. You just pop them in your fridge and bring the right bottles with you when you leave the next day! (This is starting to sound like a plug for Nosh, but I swear, I paid for the detox.)

I woke up kind of excited to start, but of course, as soon as you know you're not allowed to eat, food is all you can think about. I'm not a big breakfast person (I usually just have something small, unless it's the weekend, in which case, I LOVE BRUNCH), but I was starving by the time I got to work. The Lemon & Ginger Tonic I was allowed to drink at 8:30am (the tiny bottle in the front) didn't cut it, and I didn't like its flavour, either. Boo.

The rest of the day was pretty standard... the juices are timed pretty well, so by the time I was starving, it was nearly time for the next juice. Here is what was in them, in order:

  • 11:00am: The Rehydrator. Contains passionfruit, strawberry, orange, parsley & flaxseed
  • 1:30pm: The Eliminator. Contains acai powder, mango, pear, grapes & lemon
  • 4:30pm: The Healer. Contains avocado, mango, watercress, pineapple & "green synergy powder" (the first weird-sounding thing)
  • 8:00pm: The Rejuvenator. Contains goji berries, banana, berries, orange & lemon

Here are the finished juices.

I went for a run this evening (I was worried about going to the gym on an empty stomach tomorrow morning! And why not torture myself more while I'm at it?) and now, it's about three hours earlier than I would normally go to bed... and I think I'm going to go to bed.

Life's pretty boring without food.

The next five days follow the same four principles (with the same tonic each morning), so we'll see how I feel. Keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment