Thursday 5 January 2012

The move

Good bye, Vancouver!

Let's start with the move. I had started mentioning the possibility of jumping ship and heading overseas to friends and family back in the spring, but given that I started a new job in January (as Managing Editor at Aritzia), I don't think that many people took it seriously.

It wasn't until I actually booked my one-way ticket that it started to sink in. Packing was a nightmare... every time I'd pack a box, I'd find more stuff that needed to be given away, sold, or donated. Huge thanks to May, Shannon, Sunny, Jamie, Connie and Samantha for being such great helpers!

Here's a shot of the West End-style sidewalk sale I hosted across the street (Holly Lodge, the lovely 1907 building where I lived, doesn't allow sales on its lawns).


Everything else got shipped to London, where Elliot and I planned to move by October. I had to photograph everything (!!!) for insurance purposes, but Go World Cargo were a huge help.





I also had to get rid of my car! I brought it (actually, it was my sister's, but I'd been driving it for 2 years, even before she moved to South Africa) to the scrap yard courtesy of ICBC's Scrap-It program. It was a total car graveyard - a bit depressing.


My friend Johann then found a buddy who was willing to lend me his band's van. Check out the odometer! Who knew cars could run that long?!

Bye bye, things! See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment